[CentOS] RE: School Server Setup-Summary

Sorin@Gmail sorin.srbu at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 09:31:06 UTC 2008

Hope all goes well!

  _____

From: centos-bounces at centos.org [mailto:centos-bounces at centos.org] On Behalf
Of Harry Sukumar
Sent: Thursday, June 12, 2008 3:16 AM
To: Harry Sukumar; centos at centos.org
Subject: [CentOS] RE: School Server Setup-Summary

Dear All,

Thank you very much to every one on the list for the sincere suggestion and
recommendations

I have received amazing response from all; I will try to recap

a)     Use CentOS for server infrastructure and fedora 8 on the workstations

b)     Use K12ltsp-terminal server and all the client machines as thin clients

c)      Use CentOS as Server and Ubuntu as client OS

d)     Use RHEL on the server ( NO RHEL NO CENTOS)

e)     Use SME from Contribs.org for server and ubuntu for clients

f)      Use Scientific Linux (binary compatibility with RHEL) for Server

g)     Clarkconnect for server side and Ubuntu or FC on client side

h)     Use IPcop as firewall

Although ClarkConnect, SME are based on RHEL, I have decided not to go on that
path because of lack of large community behind them + Vendor Lock-In

With K12ltsp- sounds very nice but I don't have a large and grunty server I
have to make the workstation as server, probably a good option if I had a
powerful server :-(

With serious consideration I have decided to go with suggestion a) Use CentOS
for server infrastructure and Fedora 8 on workstation and have old machine
running IPCop as firewall

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you all, this mailing list is
by far the best I have ever seen, I would like to specially thank Ian
Blackwell for offering more support and help;

I will keep you updated on this project, I am sure there will be a lot of
question and problem that will raise and conjure from this project

Once again thank you all for the help and effort

--

Harry Sukumar