[CentOS] upgrade Fedora -> Centos

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Thu Jun 12 12:54:41 UTC 2008

Phil Schaffner wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-06-12 at 15:20 +0300, Sergej Kandyla wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>

>> Is there some way to upgrade from  Fedora Core 6 to Centos 5 (on remote
>> serv) ?
>>
>> Thanks in advice!
>
> I would expect a migration similar to that described under "Migration
> from RHEL5 to CentOS5" on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/MigrationGuide
> to work.  One difference would be that some FC6 packages are likely to
> be newer than the corresponding CentOS packages.  The upcoming 5.2
> release should help in this respect.

Actually, I would think that MOST things in fc6 would be newer.

It would be very hard to get all the CentOS things upgraded (I would
think).  Maybe it would work.

I would run something like:

rpm -qa --qf 'name %{distribution}\n' after the initial yum upgrade (if
it completes) and figure out how to do it.

In fact, I would setup a VM with the same package list and upgrade that
as a test and NEVER do it on an important live system as the first upgrade.