[CentOS] Re: raid1 disk format?

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Thu Jun 12 18:08:15 UTC 2008

on 6-12-2008 10:28 AM Les Mikesell spake the following:

>>> No - what was sda was dd'd twice with the dups put in sda and sdb.
>>>
>> That is why it didn't work. The superblock knows which drive it was
>> on, and knows if there are dupes.
>
> But I thought the locations were re-detected at boot/assembly time.
>
> The other question is whether it is possible to change the uuid while
> the system is running or if it would have to be done from a CD boot.
> I've cloned several machines from one initial setup and if copies of the
> disks ever find their way back into one box I'd prefer not to have the
> wrong set try to re-sync.

The locations can re-detect, but I still think it will stop if it detects 2
identical superblocks.
I don't think you can change the UUID of a running array, and I'm not sure if
you can do it easily on a stopped array. I think the safest thing is to use
the --add to join the pair. Since they are dd clones, the sync should be
fairly fast. Just be careful.

I know that it seems like an easy way to clone machines, but I think there are
better and safer ways to clone machines.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and