[CentOS] is CentOS an LSB certified product?

Dag Wieers dag at centos.org
Fri Jun 13 09:16:11 UTC 2008

On Fri, 13 Jun 2008, Ralph Angenendt wrote:

> Nicholas wrote:
>> Correction:
>>
>> RHEL 5 is LSB 3.1. Does this mean CentOS 5 is automatically LSB 3.1?
>
> Yes. But we may not call it so, as CentOS is *not* certified by the
> Linux Foundation. But the LSB tests should run without any problem on
>
> If anyone wants to sponsor that - feel free to contact the CentOS team,
> as the fees are pretty high:
>
> <https://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/Fee_Schedule>
>
> And the product has to be retested after each maintenance release (5.1,
> 5.2, 5.3) ...

To be honest, I think that is where we are different from RHEL.

If you need absolute assurance that CentOS is LSB certified on paper
before corporate management, buy RHEL entitlements and drop CentOS.

If you can live with CentOS and do not need the added value from Red Hat
(support, EAL/LSB certification, legal indemnification for IP
infringement, hardware/software certification) stick with CentOS.

But if your business relies on CentOS, your business relies on Red Hat as
well. There is at least a moral duty to think what that is worth to your
business and act accordingly.