[CentOS] Command line logging program suggestions?

Matt Shields matt at mattshields.org
Fri Jun 20 13:06:53 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 8:57 AM, Rob Lines <rlinesseagate at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am looking for an app that would run from the terminal and would emulate
> a bash shell (or pass everything to the shell) that would allow me to set a
> log file and then record all my input and the output to the screen from the
> commands.  As an added bonus if it would allow me to run it from two
> terminals (or more) on the same machine and log all the input and output to
> the same file while still displaying it on the screen that would be great.
> The goal being that when making changes or diagnosing a problem it can
> sometimes become hard to tell what command came when especially when you
> have more than one termial session open.  While using putty with a really
> large buffer helps it doesn't deal well with the two terminal issue or
> disconnected sessions.
>
> Anyone know of an app like this or any suggestions that could be added to
> my bashrc to provide the functionality?
>
> Thanks,
> Rob

I recently need something similar, but wanted everything sent to a remote
syslog server.  A friend of my suggested install rootsh or sudosu as the
shell and wrap it in a script that pipes everything to syslog using a script
like this
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/sysadmin/2006/10/12/httpd-syslog.html

I haven't had time to set it up, but it seems like it could work.  If you
didn't want remote syslog, just pipe it to a local file.

--
-matt