[CentOS] OT: Web page and firefox problem

Bart Schaefer barton.schaefer at gmail.com
Fri Jun 20 15:04:27 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 7:42 AM, Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com> wrote:
> I've fixed it by uploading a pdf instead of the original jpg, but I'd dearly
> like to know why firefox thought it should be scaled like that.

Apparently the justification for this is that it makes Firefox work
better on PDAs and other small-screen devices.  Firefox3 introduced
"automatic image scaling" which IE has had for some years.  Here's a
post where someone describes his frustration with image scaling in IE7
(at least as far as I know Firefox doesn't get confused by DPI
settings):

http://weblogs.java.net/blog/chet/archive/2006/10/get_the_artifac.html

What annoys me about this in FF3 is that the feature is on by default
and the standard preferences dialog doesn't offer a way to disable it.
 Instead you have to go into about:config as described here:

http://www.tipstrs.com/tip/683/Scaling-image-in-Firefox

Of course this doesn't help page designers who can't tell whether
their visitor's browser has scaling enabled or not.