[CentOS] Kernel panic - not syncing: CPU context corrupt

Michael michael at j3ksolutions.com
Fri Jun 20 16:42:17 UTC 2008

Lanny Marcus wrote:
> On 6/20/08, Alwin Roosen <alwin.roosen at webline.be> wrote:
> <snip>
>> CentOS release 5 (Final)
>> Kernel 2.6.18-53.1.21.el5 on an i686
>> ws174 login: CPU 1: Machine Check Exception: 0000000000000005
>> CPU 0: Machine Check Exception: 0000000000000004
>> Bank 3: f62000020002010a at 0000000032c93500
>> Bank 5: f20000300c000e0f
>> Kernel panic - not syncing: CPU context corrupt
>> Bank 3: f62000020002010a
> Phil or someone else: Do the three (3) "Bank" lines above indicate RAM
> problems?  If not, what do they refer to? Alwin wrote that this is
> brand new HW, so he suspects that it is OK, but it doesn't seem to be
> OK? Lanny
I have the same issue, unresolved. However I am using old desktop
hardware (Compaq Persario, and HP something or another). Maybe it is
memory, or CPU, or some kind of incompatibility with something. I was
just making a list of the hardware that should be purchased to run a
low-end SME server using CentOS.

Rack mountable case, with Power Supply and fans included.
MotherBoard, mid-range processor.
2 Gb RAM
USB Drive 1 Tb
Two 500Gb or four 300 Gb internal hardrives (HW Raid would be nice)
CD/DVD R/W drive
and so on..........

But I don't want to get into the situation above, where I purchase NEW
hardware, and CentOS doesn't like it, and furthermore the resolution is

What is the best HW environment for CentOS?
Brand, MFG, chipset rev, and so on....

Michael Anderson,
J3k Solutions
Sr.Systems Programmer/Analyst