[CentOS] 3ware performance in CentOS

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Fri Jun 20 16:55:56 UTC 2008

Florin Andrei wrote:

> Anyway, I did a test with the 2.6.18-93.el5.bz444759 kernel and there's
> no difference: 65 minutes, 27 MB/s. Looks like it doesn't matter which
> kernel I use, at least for this simple test with dd.
>
> I wonder if a test closer to real life, such as reading/writing stuff
> from/to MySQL, would produce different results. I guess there's only one
> way to find out. ;-)

As a side note, the artificial benchmark reveals a huge difference
between Ext3 and XFS - the latter is much faster when writing. Might be
an artifact of some setting (after all, I do use a hardware RAID card).
But the difference is very real.

I was planning to use XFS anyway, so I'm not sure if I'll spend too much
time troubleshooting Ext3.

I don't think this is some kind of hidden effect of the MWI bug.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/