[CentOS] 3ware performance in CentOS

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Fri Jun 20 17:23:30 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 12:55 PM, Florin Andrei <florin at andrei.myip.org> wrote:

>> Anyway, I did a test with the 2.6.18-93.el5.bz444759 kernel and there's no
>> difference: 65 minutes, 27 MB/s. Looks like it doesn't matter which kernel I
>> use, at least for this simple test with dd.

No. Since you're using the driver from 3ware/amcc you are not going to
experience this particular performance hit. Only if you're using the
stock 3ware driver which is built into the kernel.

> As a side note, the artificial benchmark reveals a huge difference between
> Ext3 and XFS - the latter is much faster when writing. Might be an artifact
> of some setting (after all, I do use a hardware RAID card). But the
> difference is very real.
>
> I was planning to use XFS anyway, so I'm not sure if I'll spend too much
> time troubleshooting Ext3.
>
> I don't think this is some kind of hidden effect of the MWI bug.

Nope. This is just a long-standing performance thing. You can tune
ext3 to perform better, but on a 3ware card xfs will win, hands down.

George Orwell