[CentOS] Re: Kernel panic - not syncing: CPU context corrupt

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Fri Jun 20 18:29:07 UTC 2008

on 6-20-2008 8:23 AM Lanny Marcus spake the following:
> On 6/20/08, Alwin Roosen <alwin.roosen-AcEhIOVMebKZIoH1IeqzKA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> <snip>
>> CentOS release 5 (Final)
>> Kernel 2.6.18-53.1.21.el5 on an i686
>>
>> ws174 login: CPU 1: Machine Check Exception: 0000000000000005
>> CPU 0: Machine Check Exception: 0000000000000004
>> Bank 3: f62000020002010a at 0000000032c93500
>> Bank 5: f20000300c000e0f
>> Kernel panic - not syncing: CPU context corrupt
>> Bank 3: f62000020002010a
>>
> Phil or someone else: Do the three (3) "Bank" lines above indicate RAM
> problems?  If not, what do they refer to? Alwin wrote that this is
> brand new HW, so he suspects that it is OK, but it doesn't seem to be
> OK? Lanny
As most of us have found out at some time;
brand new does not always equal OK.
I have had plenty of hardware that was dead on arrival or dead in days. Check
the obvious of re-seating all removable parts like memory and cards, and also
any option cards for second processors if they are included. Shipping or
moving equipment can loosen things.

Also look at the memory to see if it is on the recommended list for the
motherboard.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and