[CentOS] Kernel panic - not syncing: CPU context corrupt

Fri Jun 20 20:57:26 UTC 2008

On 6/20/08, Alwin Roosen <alwin.roosen at webline.be> wrote:
<snip>
> This is a brand new server, which has been tested for days with FreeBSD
> in our office, and a few days with Windows on the site of our hardware
> distributor. Now customer wants CentOS, which we installed, but after
> few days we get a kernel panic. Last night at 2:08 it gave the same
> kernel panic.

The fact that it worked OK, the first few days, with FreeBSD and
Windows, may have been a Burn In test and now something in the HW has
failed or is failing. Or, possibly CentOS is utilizing the HW much
more robustly than the other 2 OS did?

I would suggest that you get a Knoppix Live CD, or, preferably, a
CentOS Live CD, and let it roll.

And, you get a Kernel Panic, after_ a_ few_ days, on CentOS. That
might indicate a Memory problem? Or, a Cooling problem?

> ws174 login: CPU 1: Machine Check Exception: 0000000000000005
> CPU 0: Machine Check Exception: 0000000000000004
> Bank 3: f62000020002010a at 0000000032c93500
> Bank 5: f20000300c000e0f
> Kernel panic - not syncing: CPU context corrupt
> Bank 3: f62000020002010a

Two banks of Memory (3 and 5) have problems?

If the RAM tests OK, suggest you swap the motherboard