[CentOS] Trouble brewing in dmesg... any ideas?

Ted Miller tedjeanmiller at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jun 22 00:48:51 UTC 2008

Rob Townley wrote:
> dmesg > dmesg.log
>
> or
>
> cd /var/log/
> ls -lat | more
>
> i liked the old days when dmesg, /var/log/messages and other syslog
> stuff was displayed automatically on a tty console.  I tried a softlink
> from /var/log/messages to tty9, but didn't have any luck.  Would it
> require a tee or a mod to dmesg?

One of those rare occasions when I know the answer, so I'll share.  Had to
go look at my /etc/syslog.conf file to remember the magic incantation:

# Log everything to tty12
# Added by TCM on 24 Nov 06
*.*							/dev/tty12

This puts all that "stuff" on Ctrl-Alt-F12 "where it belongs".  Enjoy.

Ted Miller