****Re: [CentOS] Network FS w/o user setup

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Jun 22 02:11:24 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-06-21 at 21:48 -0400, Ted Miller wrote:

> I have been using 'share' mode, but a little reading makes it sound like I
> should switch to 'user' mode to make my life easier.  I have been adding
> various user permission lines to each share.  Will they keep working if I
> just comment out those lines?
----
share mode is designed to mimic Windows 98 file sharing behavior - it's
use is not recommended.

As for will they keep working...crystal ball cloudy. You can simply keep
editing smb.conf because samba re-reads the smb.conf every minute I
think.
----
> >>  From everything I have heard, a windows domain controller would be
> >> more work than it is worth for this size of project, as I am looking
> >> for something machine-scale, not enterprise scale.
> >
> > You might look at webmin, since it has an option to maintain unix and
> > samba passwords at the same time and it can also keep multiple machines
> > in sync.
>
> Does anyone maintain webmin for Centos?  I have most of the common repos
> hooked to yum, but webmin draws a blank.
----
download/install from www.webmin.com - also install perl-net-SSLeay for
SSL (from dag/rpmforge)
----
> > The other complication is that if you also want to share files
> > via NFS, the permissioning mechanism is entirely different.  NFS just
> > looks at the uid/gid/modes like a local file, so you need to make the
> > password files consistent across all the Linux boxes.
>
> Does NFS work with windows?  I have wasted considerable time on Google
> trying to answer that question, and the only answer I find is that there
> are commercial products that (for a per-seat fee) will connect windows to
> NFS.  I read that NFS v.4 was supposed to "play better" with windows, but I
> could not find any official comment, or windows drivers, or even any
> recommendations of client only drivers.
----
SFU (Services for Unix) is a free download from Microsoft
----
> Any pointers to where I could learn the implications/pluses/minuses of
> that?  It might be useful with my multiple machines (real and virtual) per
> user.
----
You put barriers into place deciding what you are willing and not
willing to do but in reality, what you want is all of the power and
features of an enterprise system with none of the knowledge...good luck.

With LDAP, you could have multiple servers, integrated users/groups
between posix and Windows and even have them see the same Desktop, the
same $HOME directories regardless of whether they connected via Windows
or Linux.

Craig