[CentOS] 3ware 9650 issues

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Sun Jun 22 04:12:00 UTC 2008

Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
> I've been having no end of issues with a 3ware 9650SE-24M8 in a server
> that's coming on a year old.  I've got 24 WDC WD5001ABYS drives
> (500GB) hooked to it, running as a single RAID6 w/ a hot spare.  These
> issues boil down to the card periodically throwing errors like the
> following:
> Have other folks had good luck with this card?  What sorts of configs
> are you running?  I'm in the position of needing more storage, and I'm
> a bit gun shy on 3ware at the moment...

I have no experience with that raid card, most of our larger systems use
external SAN storage, but I will say that, IMHO, is a very large
raid-6.   we usually don't make single raid sets much large than 7-8
drives, and for a very large storage system, will stripe multiple
raid5/6 sets rather than have one huge one.