[CentOS] is it possible to login to a switch via RS232 / serial port from the shell?

Rudi Ahlers Rudi at SoftDux.com
Mon Jun 23 09:04:58 UTC 2008

Miguel Medalha wrote:
> Isn't the switch accessible via a Web interface? Most are. If so, why
> not use a browser to access it? It is much more practical nowadays.
> Of course, I don't know your concrete case, I am thinking generally.
Yes, it was accessible via the web, until I changed the IP - but forgot
to change the subnet mask as well. So, I could drive to the IDC and
reset it, but this made me realize that I need to get serial console
working for fixing / debugging purposes as well.

Luckily when I installed the switch, I connected the serial cable to the
CentOS server as well, thought it would be a handy backup measure, until
now.....

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers