[CentOS] backup question

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 12:34:04 UTC 2008

admin wrote:
> I think so, at least you do the way I use it because you boot the
> machine off the Clonezilla CD, then mount the device/partition you're
> backing up to and select the device/partition being backed up.
>
> But Clonezilla also has a whole network mode of operation involving a
> Clonezilla server, so I can't rule it out ... maybe someone else can?

Any time you do partition/filesystem image backups you have to make sure
nothing changes until the copy is complete, so you typically need to run
from CD to back up.  File based backups (tar, cpio, etc.) aren't quite
as picky although it is still best if nothing changes. You could use
some tricks like LVM snapshots, but clonezilla doesn't.   The network
mode lets you boot via PXE instead of the CD and automatically NFS
mounts the server so you can save and restore from there, but otherwise
is about the same.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com