[CentOS] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: CentOS 5.2 is here!

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Tue Jun 24 15:41:37 UTC 2008

Timothy Murphy wrote:

>>> But does one actually get Windows XP SP3
>>> simply by repeated "Windows Update"s?
>
>> Windows XP service pack 3 was released recently, Windows NT 4 had 6
>> service packs
>
> There is probably a misunderstanding here.
> Windows XP Service Pack 3 was a separate upgrade.
> IIRC, it did not come as a standard update.
> One was told SP3 was available, and how to get it.
> But this is a minor point.

regardless ... WinXP is not WinVista or Win2000 or Win98

AND

CentOS-2 is not CentOS-3, CentOS-4, CentOS-5

> As I understand it, by simply continuing to say "yum update"
> at regular intervals, my server will change itself from 5.1 to 5.2 .
> It seems a bit like my age, which will automatically increase by 1
> on Thursday.

OK .. here is the point

CentOS-5 is the Release

CentOS-5.0, CentOS-5.1 and CentOS-5.2 are update sets of CentOS-5 ...
and are still CentOS-5.  The .0, .1, and .2 are update sets and are
really just a "frozen point in time" of CentOS-5.

Yum upgrades will always get you all the updates that are released for
CentOS-5 ... and that will automatically update you to the latest
CentOS-5 version.

If you are running CentOS-4 and you run yum ... you will be updated to
CentOS-4.6 now and to CentOS-4.7 when it is released.  You will not be
updated to CentOS-5.x from any version of CentOS-4.

Does this make sense?