[CentOS] Re: CentOS 5.2 is here!

Tue Jun 24 23:09:11 UTC 2008

On 6/23/08, Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net> wrote:
> William L. Maltby wrote:
>> And I add my thanks too, to the whole CentOS crew.
>
> I'm running Centos-5.1 but am a complete Centos newbie.
> What is the best way of installing Centos-5.2 ?
> Is a fresh installation recommended,
> or can one do a yum upgrade?
> Or is there any other way of proceeding?

Not having read the Release Notes or Announcement, I did "yum update",
 instead of "yum upgrade", which I should have done, on my CentOS 5.1
Desktop box, which was up to date, this afternoon. 284 Packages were
excluded for Priorities. It installed 10 new Packages and Updated 233
Packages. DL size was 489 MB and took 61 minutes for the DL, on our
550 kbps connection (after I finished, I did a test on speedtest.net
to a server in Fort Lauderdale, FL and the DL speed at that time was
1780 kbps from that Server in FLL). I noticed when it was Updating pam
there was a warning. Also, I have SELinux running in Permissive mode
and there were several warnings, which I'm sure is normal, when doing
an Upgrade like this. I noticed that it installed yum-fastestmirror
which is much better for me, than using the nearest mirror! I believe
our route to the USA is via satellite, from Medellin, Colombia into
Orlando, FL. The move from Firefox 1.5 to 3.0 should be a big
improvement for those of us who are Desktop users. The entire process
took approximately 2 hours 15 minutes and it was FLAWLESS.   A HUGE
THANK YOU, TO EVERYONE WHO HAS PUT SO MUCH OF THEIR TIME INTO THIS,
FOR THOSE OF US IN THE CentOS COMMUNITY!     Lanny