SOLVED: Re: [CentOS] Desktop: After yum update and power off, cannot boot new Kernel

Lanny Marcus

Wed Jun 25 16:14:50 UTC 2008

wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 10:12 AM, Marko A. Jennings <
> markobiz at bluegargoyle.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, June 25, 2008 11:01 am, Lanny Marcus wrote:
>>
>> > FOLLOW ON: On my box, when it is trying to boot the latest Kernel
>> > (2.6.18-92.1.1el5) the last thing I see on the CRT is "starting udev"
>> > and after that, the screen goes blank and there is no HD activity.
>>
>> This sounds a lot like the problem with the nvidia-drv-x11 package from
>> RPMForge.  Are you, by any chance, using it?  If so, you should be able to
>> boot into run level 3 without any problems, and X (run level 5) should
>> start working after you remove it.  That is, at least, my experience.
>>

> Hi Marko: No, my box is using Intel integrated video on the MOBO. And, this
> is the one that has the problem. My daughters box, which does not have the
> problem, has nvidia.    Lanny

SOLUTION:   I Googled for "starting udev".   One of the possible solutions
suggested was to add "acpi=off" at the end of the line for that Kernel. I
did that, after powering the box off and then back on, and it is working:

[lanny at dell2400 ~]$ uname -a
Linux dell2400.homelan 2.6.18-92.1.1.el5 #1 SMP Sat Jun 21 19:04:27 EDT 2008
i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Which configuration file do I edit, to make that change? TIA! Lanny