[CentOS] To upgrade or not

Wed Jun 25 20:11:01 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 2:02 PM, Michael A. Peters <mpeters at mac.com> wrote:

> My laptop is a Thinkpad T20 running CentOS 5.1
> The reason it is running CentOS at all is because Fedora Core 6 was
> workable on it, but Fedora 8 was a complete dog.
> Anyway - with all the new desktop stuff in CentOS 5.2 I'm wondering if I
> would be happier just leaving it at 5.1 rather than letting it update to
> 5.2.
> Will 5.1 continue to get security fixes if I leave it at 5.1 or do I need
> to update to 5.2 to get the patches?
> I'm planning to replace it at some point, just haven't seen T40s on eBay
> drop to my price range yet.

I upgraded my Desktop yesterday and my daughter's Desktop this morning. If
you surf the web, the move from Mozilla Firefox 1.5.x to Mozilla Firefox 3.0
Beta 5 will be well worth your time. I was having problems, on web sites I
frequently visit, with Firefox 1.5.  CentOS 5 is based on Fedora Core 6 as I
recall. The difference is with CentOS you get a LONG life, more stability
and more security, along with super support from this mailing list. I
believe that Firefox 3.0 requires a bunch of other stuff that is not in
CentOS 5.1, to run. It took me just over an hour to download all the
packages for each box and about another hour to get it all installed. I
would suggest that: (a) You backup the data on your laptop (b) login as root
and do "yum upgrade" and move to CentOS 5.2.  If you do not upgrade
everything, you will still get security updates, for the packages you do
want to update.