[CentOS] To upgrade or not

Thu Jun 26 00:15:52 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 2:02 PM, Michael A. Peters <mpeters at mac.com> wrote:

> My laptop is a Thinkpad T20 running CentOS 5.1
>
> The reason it is running CentOS at all is because Fedora Core 6 was
> workable on it, but Fedora 8 was a complete dog.
>
> Anyway - with all the new desktop stuff in CentOS 5.2 I'm wondering if I
> would be happier just leaving it at 5.1 rather than letting it update to
> 5.2.
>
> Will 5.1 continue to get security fixes if I leave it at 5.1 or do I need
> to update to 5.2 to get the patches?
>
> I'm planning to replace it at some point, just haven't seen T40s on eBay
> drop to my price range yet.

My daughter's Desktop has 384 MB of RAM. I did "yum upgrade" on it this
morning, without any issues. That box has a P4 1.6 GHz CPU, which is more
power than your laptop has. Probably your laptop would be OK on CentOS 5.2
but I cannot guarantee that. You will have to decide whether or not to
upgrade from 5.1 to 5.2. Backup first!  If you want to stay with CentOS 5.1,
don't do any updates or upgrades. The Distribution is CentOS 5. CentOS 5.1
and 5.2 have the latest updates, as of a certain date, at Upstream.