Force reinstallation of packages Was: [CentOS] Root-filesystem remounts as read-only during 5.2 upgrade (system completely shoot)

Bernhard Gschaider bgschaid_lists at ice-sf.at
Thu Jun 26 09:58:38 UTC 2008

    WLM> On Wed, 2008-06-25 at 20:27 +0200, Bernhard Gschaider wrote:
    >>> <snip>

    >>> Is there a way to say: "Hey RPM, have a look whether really
    >>> the files in your database are on the disk)" ?

    WLM> Use rpm's verify option. I forget the exact syntax: I'm sorry
    WLM> to have to sentence you to the rpm manpage dungeon. :-(

Sorry. Stupid question again: and if I find inconsistencies, then the
only way to force rpm to correct them yould be something like

yum remove offendingPackage
yum install offendingPackage

or the equivalent rpm-commands?

Currently the machine behaves quite strange:
 - Boots OK
 - Lets users log in and most applications work
 - Firefox works only for root
 - yumex hangs at starting
 - "man rpm" says XXX WARNING: old character encoding and/or character set

All this leads me to the conclusion that there are only some selected
packages corrupt (and I don't want to reinstall the machine). Would
Installing/Repairing from DVD help?

Bernhard