[CentOS] nfs cannot see mount points on other machine

Kai Schaetzl

maillists at conactive.com
Thu Jun 26 14:24:23 UTC 2008

I'm having a bit of a problem with what I can "see" over nfs.
I have two machines that nfs their root to each other and it seems to
work. However, I now found out that some of the root directories that are
listed are "fake" ones. A comparison of the root on both machines shows
that some directories are the same and I can access those files on the
other machine. However, there are some directories that are different.

That is true for all the "special" directories like dev, proc, sys (which
makes some sense), but also for directories that are mount points on the
other machine. Does nfs not give me access to those mount points? Do I
have to create a second nfs mount to that machine which mounts only that
mount point? Or do I need some parameter to mount these mount points under
the normal mount?

What's weird is that if I create a file in these "fake" directories I can
do that and it's listed like it actually were created on the other
machine. But it gets created on *this* machine. When I then unmount, it's
gone (like the whole nfs mount) and when I remount it's back. Where is it
actually getting created and how can I remove it? Is there some nfs cache
that holds it?

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany