[CentOS] nfs cannot see mount points on other machine

Kai Schaetzl maillists at conactive.com
Thu Jun 26 15:34:41 UTC 2008

Jason Pyeron wrote on Thu, 26 Jun 2008 10:42:40 -0400:

> This option is based on the option of the same name provided in IRIX NFS.
> Normally, if a server exports two filesystems one of which is mounted on the
> other, then the client will have to mount both filesystems explicitly to get
> access  to  them.   If  it just  mounts the parent, it will see an empty
> directory at the place where the other filesystem is mounted.  That filesystem
> is "hidden".

Thanks for the hint about exports, I think I would have never tried man on that.
I think it's not the problem I see, but after some more reading and experiencing
that the proposed solution fails I think I know the reason.

The above paragraph only applies to the cross-mounted filesystem I think, e.g.
if I mount under /nfs/hostname then this will be "hidden". I tried the "nohide"
solution and it didn't make a difference for my problem. There's also an
interesting option crossmnt explained right after nohide, but this is not going
to work either I think (and actually I don't really understand it, it's
confusingly explained).

On rereading that man article it becomes obvious that you mount "filesystems".
So, if you mount / on the other machine you get only what the other machine has
under that mount point. If I have a mount point /home on the other machine that
won't be available under the / export. I have to export and mount
/nfs/hostname/home if I want to get that one as well. I think. I haven't tried

What doesn't fit in this, though, is the fact that the other mount points are
displayed as directories and I can work on them (just in some cache it seems).
This is very confusing as you never know if you are working on the real thing or
not. I would have thought that the coders would have taken care of that. So,
maybe my theory is not correct. But the nohide option doesn't fix the problem

Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany