[CentOS] is centos update safe

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Thu Jun 26 18:48:48 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-06-26 at 11:35 -0700, John R Pierce wrote:
> fabian dacunha wrote:
> > i jus wanted to know if i could SAFELY apply the updates since its a live
> > server running our companys primary DNS and mail server

In case you missed it, there was a recommended "two step" and parameter
recommendation.

1. yum update yum rpm
2. yum upgrade # not update

> <snip>

As Jim alluded to, and others have stated explicitly in the past, an
update of a live server without adequate testing and/or fallback plan is
akin to unassisted suicide. It won't be your foot you shot yourself in
if something goes drastically wrong.

--
Bill