[CentOS] Starting a Local CentOS Mirror

Jason Pyeron jpyeron at pdinc.us
Thu Jun 26 22:09:26 UTC 2008

I don't like fidling with files that are provided by rpms, so we use a local DNS
override on the mirrors.centos.org, et al

Then we provide yum & up2date with the mirror list to choose from (1 entry our
local mirror)

> 2) Is there a way to configure yum to prefer the local repo,
> but use an external mirror if the local is not available?

See above and update your returned list based on prefences.

> 3) What is the best practice around keeping the local repo
> updated? A once-a-day cron job to rsync from an external
> mirror?

Every ~17 hours I think we do it. We also use locks to prevent more than one
from running at a time. If it fails it will try again, and delay 2x and try
again, repeat...

> If this is the correct approach, is there a way to
> rsync from a "mirror list" so that updates won't fail if a
> particular mirror happens to be unavailable when the cron job runs?

Hmm, don't know, might be a good idea.

> Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide. I want to
> be sure I get this right!

Will attach our script in reply to this message

- Jason Pyeron                      PD Inc. http://www.pdinc.us -
- Principal Consultant              10 West 24th Street #100    -
- +1 (443) 269-1555 x333            Baltimore, Maryland 21218   -

privileged, proprietary, or otherwise private information. If you
have received it in error, purge the message from your system and
notify the sender immediately.  Any other use of the email by you
is prohibited.