[CentOS] CentOS 5.2 kernel [2.6.18-92.1.1.el5] crashes on dual-PIII Compaq ProLiant 3000

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Fri Jun 27 01:36:04 UTC 2008

Johnny Hughes wrote:
> Wojtek Pilorz wrote:
>> After yum upgrade, the new CentOS5 kernel [
>> kernel-2.6.18-92.1.1.el5.i686 ] crashes each time early in boot
>> process on Compaq ProLiant 3000
>> with dual Pentium3 CPU (600 MHz, CPU0: Intel Pentium III (Katmai)
>> stepping 03, CPU1 the same).
>> I get kernel panic at powernowk8_init+0x05e/0x1c3.
>> The previous kernel [ kernel-2.6.18-53.1.21.el5.i686 ] seems to work
>> fine.
>> I am wondering if anyone has met this on PIII CPU ?
>> I have found 99.9% identical problem on
>> http://www.nabble.com/net-5501-and-RHEL5.2-td18024549.html
>> (only esp and task slightly different from what I have seen on screen
>> after crash,
>> all other registers, call trace, code bytes identical to my case) ,
>> but that was on a different CPU.
>> On the other hand, I run CentOS upgraded to 5.2 on a home PC with PIII
>> (single CPU,
>>   Abit motherboard with i440BX chipset) with no problem.
>> Is it normal, that powernowk8_init gets called on PIII CPU?
> We have created a new test kernel that has an upstream patch to fix this
> issue, please test this and see if it fixes your issues:
> http://people.centos.org/hughesjr/kernel/5/bz443853/

I have heard off list that this kernel does solve the problem with

As always though, this kernel will be available to people with the
problem (at the above link), however we won't officially release it as a
replacement until it is in an upstream kernel and released into the tree
by them.

This is even worse because it renders the install media worthless on
these machines, and I am sorry, but upstream needs to initiate things in
  the main tree.