[CentOS] Wheel and YUM!!

Ian Blackwell ian at ikel.id.au
Fri Jun 27 07:58:31 UTC 2008

Plant, Dean wrote:
> I see your trying to protect your users from becoming root. You do
> realise that with that sudo configuration a user can still run "sudo
> /bin/bash" or any of the other shells to gain root access.

Hi Dean,

I don't think that's correct.  One of the purposes of the sudoers file
is you can limit users to specific programs, excluding them from
others.  This entry, which I just tested in my CentOS5.2 box, allows the
user tldap to use yum, but not /bin/bash:-
tldap   ALL=/usr/bin/yum

Here's what happens when I try sudo as user tldap:-
2.6.18-92.1.1.el5.centos.plusxen[tldap at www ~]$ sudo yum update
 * base: rsync.atworks.co.jp
 * updates: rsync.atworks.co.jp
 * centosplus: mirror.exetel.com.au
 * addons: mirror.exetel.com.au
 * extras: mirror.exetel.com.au
0 packages excluded due to repository priority protections
Setting up Update Process
No Packages marked for Update
2.6.18-92.1.1.el5.centos.plusxen[tldap at www ~]$ sudo /bin/bash
Sorry, user tldap is not allowed to execute '/bin/bash' as root on www
2.6.18-92.1.1.el5.centos.plusxen[tldap at www ~]$

Cheers,

Ian