[CentOS] Automatic site selection for dowload

Sorin@Gmail sorin.srbu at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 08:59:15 UTC 2008

Karanbir Singh <> scribbled on Friday, June 27, 2008 10:27 AM:

> tech wrote:
>> I would like to ask that more flexibility be built into automatically
>> choosing sites for downloading.
>
> You can always just disable the yum-fastestmirror plugin if its not
> working well for you. In /etc/yum/pluginconf.d there should be a file
> called fastestmirror.conf - look in there, and change enabled=1 to
> enabled=0. Might be worth running it with verbose=1 for a little while
> to work out whats going on. Perhaps also reduce the maxhostfileage value
> to have fastestmirror speed check each mirror more often.

I wonder if running "yum update yum*" first would help, before doing the full
"yum update"?

In my case with CentOS v5.2, I saw yum got updated too, and since then yum
works blazingly fast for me.

You might want to try it anyway. If it works better after the update, then
fine, you're all set for better speeds.

FWIW, I had slow speeds pre-5.2 as well.