[CentOS] VNC vs GNOME desktop

fred smith

fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Fri Jun 27 14:33:35 UTC 2008

I'm trying to use VNC to connect my home Centos box (up to date centos 5)
to my Centos 4 (also up to date) at work. I have no problem connecting.
The problem occurs after logging in, for every applet in the bottom Gnome
panel I get an error box from which I can choose to remove the applet
from the panel, or just go on. I choose to not delete but to just go on.
After I get a half dozen or so of those, the desktop is fully drawn,
except the bottom panel is completely empty. no desktop switcher, or
anything else.

I've googled and looked in centos forums and realvnc FAQs and don't
find any reference to such a problem.

Clues would be appreciated!

Here's the text from that dialog:

	The panel encountered a problem while loading
	"OAFIID:GNOME_howDesktopApplet".
	Details: Failed to resolve, or extend
	'!prefs_key=/apps/panel/applets/show_desktop_button/
	Prefs;background=none:;orient=up;size=x-small;locked_down=false

	Do you want to delete the applet from your configuration?

and I get that once for each applet.

here's the ~/.vnc/xstartup file from the server:

	#!/bin/sh

	# Uncomment the following two lines for normal desktop:
	 unset SESSION_MANAGER
	 exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

	[ -x /etc/vnc/xstartup ] && exec /etc/vnc/xstartup
	[ -r $HOME/.Xresources ] && xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
	xsetroot -solid grey
	vncconfig -iconic &
	xterm -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
	twm &

                        The Lord is like a strong tower.