[CentOS] system-auth.rpmnew

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Sun Jun 29 13:09:17 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-06-29 at 14:57 +0200, Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> The upgrade to 5.2 creates /etc/pam.d/system-auth.rpmnew. I see that
> /etc/pam.d/system-auth actually is a symlink to system-auth-ac.
> Is it recommended to replace that symlink with the rpmnew file?

IMO, it's never OK w/o first examining the effects. The rpmnew is
provided specifically because replacing the previous one may be highly
destructive to the aims of that system's users/admins.

I've not looked, but I suspect the rpmnew needs to be compared to the
target of the symlink. I just finished watching some threads where some
add on packages provided symlinks inside other package directories in
order to provide the support needed with minimal disruption to the
original package.

> Kai

HTH
--