[CentOS] Newer GNOME than base release

Tue Jun 10 18:48:05 UTC 2008
MHR <mhullrich at gmail.com>

I have asked about this before, but I don't have a workable answer yet.

I would like to know if there is a way to install a more recent GNOME
package on CentOS 5.x than 2.16.0.

1) GNOME Bugzilla does not support this version any more - all bugs go
into the bit bucket.

2) Having been exposed to Fedora 8 at work and seeing how much more
flexible GNOME 2.22 is, I would REALLY like to take a shot at using it
on my CentOS systems.

3) I asked about this on the GNOME list and I was told I should build
it, and that jhbuild or garnome would do the job for me.  This has not
been my experience - both of them have major hangups building on my
home desktop (the 64-bit hybrid CentOS 5.1 environment).

4) Johnny suggested I try mock to build in a chroot, pure 64-bit
environment.  I was unable to locate a mock that actually installed
and worked on my system.  (Yeah, yeah, I know, I'm the only person for
whom this does not work.  Heard it, can't believe it, must be doing
something most others don't, whatever....  ;*)

I have trouble believing that the ONLY ways to get a newer GNOME are
to wait for CentOS 6, run a different distro (not likely) or build it
myself.  This is Linux, after all, isn't it?  (That's a rhetorical
question - no answer required, unless those /really are/ the only
options....)

TIA.

mhr