[CentOS] Help with gcc 4.3.x and libfortran errors

Fri Jun 20 01:31:11 UTC 2008
Scott R. Ehrlich <scott at MIT.EDU>

I am trying to install gcc 4.3.0 or 4.3.1 on a 64-bit CentOS 5.0 machine, fully
patched, and keep getting:

make[3]: *** [libgfortran.la] error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory /path/to/source/libgfortran
make[2]: *** [all] error 2
make[2]: leaving directory /path/to source/libgfortran
make[1]: *** [all-target-libgfortran] error 2
make[1]: leaving directory /path/to/source
make: *** [all] error 2

Web searching has yielded a myriad of hits, including various bug reports.

Is this a known bug with a workaround, or do I need another package to make it
work, or do I need to adjust my configure line to make things happy?

Thanks for any insight.

Scott