[CentOS] CentOS-Samba question

Sun Jun 1 22:33:37 UTC 2008
MHR <mhullrich at gmail.com>

On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 5:20 AM, John <jses27 at gmail.com> wrote:
> """If you logged on from the Windows Guest Account then you know it is
> authenticating by the guest or nobody account that's on the Samba Server.
> The previous config file I that I stuck in the mail for you will work on a
> Windows Client machine providing there is sufficient name and ip address
> translation. It will authenticate against the samba server "nobody" account.
> IE, as in provide anonymous user name and password authentication so the
> user will not have to enter a password. That is to get you going on the
> right path. From there you will need to incorporate some type of user mode
> authentication. You don't want the whole world to access it."""

Clarification: "my XP guest" is my VMWare Windows XP guest OS running
on top of my CentOS host.  I use a known account to logon from the XP
guest OS to the CentOS host and all works just fine, except that I
changed <something> last night, or recently, and the guest XP can no
longer see the host "machine" in the workgroup.

This is a very minor problem, unless there's some connection we aren't
talking about yet.
.
> OK, you don't need to just open the Workgroup. All you really need to do is
> just add the share on the Samba server.

Actually, I think it was when either 5.0 or 5.1 came out that the
sample config file you sent, with a few minor differences, was posted
and I have a copy on my machine.  I used that, in part, to construct
the config file I am using.

Today, I am trying to test with the remote XP machine, and the results
get weirder (to me).  I can now see the CentOS server in the XP's
network under the workgroup, but I can't open the host for access to
either the shares or the printers.  I can still ping the server, I can
even open a putty window to it and login just fine.

But, now, I can no longer ping the XP machine from my server (!!!) at all.

I am running zonealarm (free) on the XP machine and am wondering if
there might be a problem there.  Reason I mention this is that ZA used
to allow control of access by program and by machine, but now it only
offers program control (which really stinks - any other free Win$$$
firewalls worth a hoot out there?).  So I can't even tell if my server
is getting blocked by the firewall any more.

Foo.

mhr