[CentOS] CentOS-Samba question

Tue Jun 3 20:45:26 UTC 2008
Robert <kerplop at sbcglobal.net>

MHR wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 10:16 AM, John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:
>>
>>> win9X has horrible network username habits...    you need to determine what
>>> username its running as... dirty trick, log off, and the username should be
>>> in the login prompt, just hit enter to relogin with the same username and
>>> the same blank local password..   on the SAMBA server, create that username
>>> as a linux user, AND `smbuser -a username`, assign it a smb password.   when
>>> win98 prompts for a password, thats the username it will use, you get no
>>> choice, and win98 should be able to 'save' that password (if you check said
>>> box on the login prompt), which causes it to be saved to a <username>.pwd
>>> file  (I think thats the name of the password cache).
>>>

> More progress:
>
> It occurred to me that somewhere along the line I had not given my
> CentOS guest user smb access, so I ran smbpasswd and set the guest
> password to match its login password.  When I went back to W98, I
> tried to add the network printer - it recognized the name
> (\\mhrichter\MPP1100) and asked for a password.  I gave it the guest
> password, and it proceeded to try to install it.  I put in the CD,
> went through all the (right) moves to install the driver, and then the
> moment of truth:
>
> W98 said I had to reboot.
>
> I knew I was in trouble.  I rebooted, and, lo and behold, the printer
> was suddenly offline and unavailable (there was no change to the
> CentOS host or the printer at all).
>
> I deleted the printer to start over, but this time W98 said the
> printer was offline when I input the name and the password.
>
> W98 still can't see the network or any of the shares in the Network
> Neighborhood, but at least I can reach for it by name.
>
> Any doors or windows in this wall?

It might be easier to give up.*

For years, I had a single inkjet printer on my modest home network,
physically connected to this machine.  It works great once setup until
something changes. (Versions of Windows and/or versions and/or flavors
of Linux on another box.)  A while back, I added a laser printer,
choosing one that could go either parallel, USB or ethernet.  I got out
my crimpers, made a network cable and haven't looked back.  What a
pleasure! It was a breeze to set up and it's alway visible to any
computer on the network.

The point is, unless your time is virtually worthless, you might think
about a print server. Netgear, D-link and Linksys all make them.  BTW,
my laser printer is a Brother HL-5250 DN and I'm pretty happy with it.