[CentOS] Network problems on new CentOS 5 install on P35, ICH9R mobo

Tue Jun 3 22:49:22 UTC 2008
Ned Slider <ned at unixmail.co.uk>

Dick Roth wrote:
> Juan C. Valido wrote:
>> On Tue, 2008-06-03 at 06:09 -0400, Dick Roth wrote:
>>> Had to replace dying cpu and mobo, so also replaced IDE with new SATA
>>> drive.  Installed from latest ISO onto SATA and can't get networking
>>> to lease an IP address from my ISP (Comcast).  The network utility
>>> always comes up with a private address (192.168.0.2) instead of
>>> Comcast IP.
>>>
>>> To add to confusion, if I boot into old IDE drive, I get proper
>>> network connection to internet, but lose my swap!
>>>
>>> Particulars:
>>>
>>> mobo=Gigabyte P35-DS3R
>>> SATA Controller=AHCI
>>> PATA Controller=JMicron 20360
>>> new drive=ATA WDC WD1600AAJS-2
>>> old drive=WDC WD400JB-00JJA0
>>> DVD-RW=Pioneer DVR-112D (PATA)
>>> NICs=eth0=Realtek RTL-8029(AS) (DHCP)
>>>       eth1=Realtek RTL-8029(AS) (Static)
>>>

>>> Has anyone seen this?  Will 5.2 help with this situation?  Been
>>> working on this for days!
>>>

>> If it helps any, I tried installing 5,1 on a P35-DS3L and I believe I
>> had issues with the network card, loaded RHEL 5.2 desktop and everything
>> worked so maybe 5.2 will work for you.
>>

> Thanks for the info, Juan.  I'll just hold tight until 5.2 comes down
> the pike.
>
> Dick

Release notes list the following Realtek drivers added, but I don't see
yours mentions:

http://www.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5.2/html/Release_Notes/x86/ar01s01.html

Network driver r8169 updated to add support for the following devices:

       RTL8169sb/8110sb
       RTL8169sc/8110sc
       RTL8168b/8111b
       RTL8101e