[CentOS] Mounting cifs shares by non-root users on CentOS 4.6

Wed Jun 4 12:08:09 UTC 2008
James Pearson <james-p at moving-picture.com>

Ralph Angenendt wrote:
> James Pearson wrote:
>
>>% mount /mnt/win
>>mount error 1 = Operation not permitted
>>Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)
>

> NOTES
>        This command may be used only by root, unless  installed  setuid,
>        in which case the noeexec and nosuid mount flags are enabled.

If I try to set /sbin/mount.cifs setuid root, then I get:

% mount /mnt/win
mount error: permission denied or not superuser and mount.cifs not
installed SUID

Which is rather strange as mount.cifs _is_ SUID

Does this mean that the wiki examples don't work for CentOS 4?

Thanks

James Pearson