[CentOS] tzdata, Greenwich zone: URGENT!

Wed Jun 4 14:49:03 UTC 2008
Guy Boisvert <boisvert.guy at videotron.ca>

Johnny Hughes wrote:

> I use UTC
>
> make sure that the file /etc/sysconfig/clock says this:
> #---start cut
> ZONE="UTC"
> UTC=true
> ARC=false
> #---end cut
>
> Copy the file /usr/share/zoneinfo/UTC to /etc/localtime
>
> set the time via an ntp server with the command (if ntp is installed):
>
> ntpdate -s 0.centos.pool.ntp.org
>
> Then you should always be at the correct time.
>
> NOTE:  If you do not have the correct time zone in the
> /etc/sysconfig/clock file then on the next update, you will get the
> reset to the timezone that is there and not the one you manually copied in.
>
> The UTC time zone is also available on install as a selection.
>
> Thanks,
> Johnny Hughes

Thanks Johnny!  Great info.

	I edited the /etc/sysconfig/clock file and did what you said.  I did
also: cp -p /usr/share/zoneinfo/UTC /etc/localtime.  I'll probably
schedule a reboot, just to be sure all is clean.  NTPd is already running.

	Checking /usr/share/zoneinfo/, i saw GMT, GMT0, GMT-0, GMT+0, UTC &
Greenwich.  Does anybody knows the differences between all these or
could provide a link to a reference?  I found some infos but nothing
that explains the subtlety.

	I made a diff and they are binary different.  I just want to understand
better what happened to us and the "time" thing!

Regards,

Guy Boisvert, ing.
IngTegration inc.