[CentOS] sendmail and spam

Wed Jun 4 21:02:54 UTC 2008
Kirk Bocek <t004 at kbocek.com>

Alain Terriault wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What is todays most effective combination to filter spam ?
>
> On my old Redhat 3 system I used Sendmail and Spamassasin .. it was
> good, but with the current setup we are getting way to much spam.
>
> Looking around I found new players, well some I did not know then and
> they are very interesting..
>
> MailScanner .. http://www.mailscanner.info/
> Sagator .. http://www.salstar.sk/sagator/
> Smf .. http://smfs.sourceforge.net/index.html
> dspam .. http://dspam.nuclearelephant.com/index.shtml
>
> I am tempted to go with smfs because it is familiar .. but, mailscanner
> seems popular

I've been very happy using the RBLs with Sendmail. In sendmail.mc add:

dnl #
dnl # dnsbl - DNS based Blackhole List/Black List/Rejection list
dnl # See http://www.sendmail.org/m4/features.html#dnsbl
dnl #
FEATURE(`dnsbl', `bl.spamcop.net', `"Spam blocked see:
http://spamcop.net/bl.shtml?"$&{client_addr}')dnl
FEATURE(`dnsbl', `cbl.abuseat.org', `"Spam blocked see:
http://cbl.abuseat.org/lookup.cgi?ip="$&{client_addr}')dnl
FEATURE(`dnsbl', `sbl.spamhaus.org', `"Spam blocked see:
http://spamhaus.org/query/bl?ip="$&{client_addr}')dnl
FEATURE(`dnsbl', `list.dsbl.org', `"Spam blocked see:
http://dsbl.org/listing?"$&{client_addr}')dnl
FEATURE(`dnsbl',`dnsbl.sorbs.net',`"554 Spam blocked " $&{client_addr} " found
in dnsbl.sorbs.net"')dnl
dnl #