[CentOS] sendmail and spam

Thu Jun 5 09:06:52 UTC 2008
Manish Kathuria <mkathuria at tuxtechnologies.co.in>

On Wed, 2008-06-04 at 16:53 -0400, Alain Terriault wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What is todays most effective combination to filter spam ?
>
> On my old Redhat 3 system I used Sendmail and Spamassasin .. it was
> good, but with the current setup we are getting way to much spam.
>
> Looking around I found new players, well some I did not know then and
> they are very interesting..
>
> MailScanner .. http://www.mailscanner.info/
> Sagator .. http://www.salstar.sk/sagator/
> Smf .. http://smfs.sourceforge.net/index.html
> dspam .. http://dspam.nuclearelephant.com/index.shtml
>
> I am tempted to go with smfs because it is familiar .. but, mailscanner
> seems popular
>
> thanks,
> alain

I would recommend using Postfix along with Amavisd-new which in turn
would invoke Spamassassin for spam filtering. You can also use an anti
virus program like Clam AV with it to filter for viruses also. I have
experienced excellent performance using this combination with lesser
utilization of system resources as compared to sendmail.

As suggested by many others, you must also configure a couple of RBLs
which will actually reject a major part of the incoming spam / junk mail
and leave very little for subsequent filtering.

--
Manish