[CentOS] rpm -q versus what's installed

Thu Jun 5 09:56:36 UTC 2008
William L. Maltby <CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com>

On Wed, 2008-06-04 at 23:27 -0400, Scott R. Ehrlich wrote:
> I am trying to install Oracle client 10g (10.2.0) on a 64-bit CentOS 5.0
> system.
>
> 'rpm -q make gcc glibc etc' reveals some packages as "not installed", yet
> a yum install <package name> consistently returns Nothing to do. Yum list
> available <package name> yields nothing needed.
>
> If rpm -q <list of packages> lists some that are "not installed" but every
> variant of yum install and yum list I've tried and googled claiims nothing
> more needs to be installed, either the OS is misreporting (I doubt that)

Good, 'cause the OS has nothing to do with it!  ;-)   It's all the rpm
package and what sits on top of that, yum.

> or I'm missing something that is not easily being revealed, or that I
> haven't used in a long time and outright forgetting.

A common error is to not give the correct name to rpm. Try

   rpm -qa | grep <part of the pkg name>

I often forget to add such trivial stuff as ".i386" to the package name.

Ditto for yum. Just do a yum list all into some file and then view the
file.

Also, yum list all into a file might be useful. It shows installed and
available.

> <snip>

HTH
--