[CentOS] Re: kernels and irc

Thu Jun 5 19:13:17 UTC 2008
Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com>

on 6-5-2008 8:30 AM James Bunnell spake the following:

> On Thu, 2008-06-05 at 09:57 -0500, Johnny Hughes wrote:
>> James Bunnell wrote:
>> > I was in the #centos-social channel and simply stated that I noticed
>> > CentOS 3-4 were getting a lot of updates. I also stated that the CentOS
>> > 5 was one kernel behind, as in RHEL it is at -53, the gentlemen then
>> > told me that I was wrong and it was at -21. I then asked if there was a
>> > way to get a progress report somehow on 5.2, and that 5.2 has already
>> > upgraded that kernel. The result was that I was banned for being
>> > correct. I dont understand this kind of support.
>>
>> You are NOT correct ...
>>
>> The latest NON 5.2 kernel is:
>>
>> ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/5Client/en/os/SRPMS/kernel-2.6.18-53.1.21.el5.src.rpm
> looks like -53 to me
>>
>> The latest 5.2 kernel is:
>>
>> ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/5Client/en/os/SRPMS/kernel-2.6.18-92.1.1.el5.src.rpm
> this is a new kernel as of today, may 22 compilation date
>>
>> As far as being banned on an IRC Channel ... I am sure you were warned
>> first.  CentOS is manned by volunteers.  If you want to argue with the
>> people who are on IRC after they tell you not to, then you will be banned.
> yes i was warned, however, can they not admit when they are wrong? and
> because its volunteers (like debian), all the more reason to be
> professional.
>>
>> The CentOS project trusts the judgment of our forum moderators and our
>> IRC ops ... if they ban you then you are banned.  We are not a for
>> profit company where you pay us for service and can be disrespectful to
>> our employees.  You will instead have to be polite in your disagreements.
> i have been polite for weeks. i finally had a enough of being polite and
> just being told, 'it will be release when its ready.' that is not a
> professional answer. is it too much to ask for an update?
>>
>> If this is a problem, I suggest that you find a paid for service
>> contract where you can be rude to the people with whom you interact.
> i do pay for rhel. i made the mistake of converting to centos. damage is
> done. on the next major upgrade, i will return to rhel and will not
> professionally recommend centos either privately,personally, or in the
> realm of a business. thanks for seeing my side of the issue and not
> jumping on the elite bandwagon. i am done.

No wonder you were banned on #irc.
I personally am more than happy to wait. I came here from Whitebox linux, and
it is even slower there. One person is doing what the entire team is doing here.
I also know that if I am in that big of a hurry, I can down the src rpms and
start building... But I won't.

Johnny, Karanbir, Russ, Seth, Dag, Jim, Donavan, and every one else on the
team that I most surely missed... You do a bang up job, and our thanks go to
your tireless and mostly unpaid contributions to this project!
  If I have to wait a week or a month for a new release... so be it. The
security updates are what is most important, and those come very quickly.

Again ... Thank you all!

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and