[CentOS] Re: 3Ware 9690SA

Fri Jun 6 22:32:47 UTC 2008
Vidar Normann <vidarno at gmail.com>

On Sat, Jun 7, 2008 at 12:16 AM, Ruslan Sivak <russ at vshift.com> wrote:

> Scott Silva wrote:

>>> The ones on their standard download page are not compatible with Xen
>>> kernels according to the release notes.  The ones to be used for Xen kernels
>>> on x64 is this one: http://www.3ware.com/KB/article.aspx?id=15257
>>>
>>> That only has a zip file, not an image file.
>>>
>>> Russ
>>>
>> http://www.3ware.com/KB/article.aspx?id=15257 is the files that go on a
>> driver disk. I just dl'd it and opened it.
>> I know there is a way to use a driver disk from other media, but I can't
>> find it, and I'm sure someone on list will remember how.
>>

> Yes these are the files I was using.  It wouldn't let me install with these
> files on a usb drive or a cdrom, but it worked fine when I put them on a
> floppy.  I then did an upgrade install of CentOS, and was able to boot into
> the system.
> The only issue now seems to be that I still can't boot the xen kernel with
> it.  I tried manually copying the 3w-9xxx.ko from
> /lib/modules/2.6.18-53.el5/updates to
> /lib/modules/2.6.18-53.1.21.el5xen/updates, but that didn't seem to help.
>
> Do I need to mkinitrd or something?

Maybe not 100% useful, but I had trouble installing CentOS on a machine with
a 9690SA as recently as tonight - who has floppy
drives anymore? (Well, I did, but all my floppies were unusable, big
shock..)

The trick was to use the method explained on this site to turn the files in
the driver download from 3ware into an image:
http://www.openfusion.net/linux/network-driver-images

Upload it to somewhere accessible via the Internet or your local network.
Then all I had to do was boot with the parameter:
linux dd=http://somewhere.com/filename

Good to know that dd supports http and ftp out of the box and not just local
media.

Vidar