[CentOS] Chroot'ed SSH

Sat Jun 7 04:24:26 UTC 2008
Filipe Brandenburger <filbranden at gmail.com>

On Sat, Jun 7, 2008 at 12:18 AM, Eric Wood <eric at interplas.com> wrote:
> Just the other week sshd 4.9 enabled chroot for the first time I think.
>  Fairly new stuff.  You'll have to roll your own rpm for CentOS as it will
> be unlikely that they roll it - probably not even for 5.2 either.

Yeah, I was considering rebuilding FC9 RPM of OpenSSH 5.0 which would
include the feature. However, I would rather avoid using an SSH server
other than the one provided by CentOS, since the whole point of
RHEL/CentOS is to have a certified platform, if you start replacing
packages you might break that.

> pam_chroot might get deprecated.

I was digging into the issue and I realised pam_chroot is actually
installed in CentOS 5 by default:

$ rpm -ql pam.x86_64 | grep chroot
/etc/security/chroot.conf
/lib64/security/pam_chroot.so
/usr/share/doc/pam-0.99.6.2/txts/README.pam_chroot

I googled around but I didn't find any howto's on how to enable it and
set it up. Is anyone using it successfully? Does it integrate
seamlessly with OpenSSH? How should I set it up?

Thanks!
Filipe