[CentOS] OT: really dumb question about APC UPS

Sun Jun 8 17:52:01 UTC 2008
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

Jamie Lists wrote:
> We have about 4 servers connected to an APC UPS. The UPS only has one
> UPS connection. So my question is, in a power outage how do i get all
> my servers to safely shutdown? Do i run a USB hub? Do i write a script
> on the one machine connected to turn off all the other machines? I'm
> confused.

what Michel said...

I want to add, a USB hub would not work...  USB is a one master, many
slave star bus.  a PC is the master,, a device like your UPS is the
slave.   you can't connect two masters to the same USB*

*there are special USB to USB network cables, these are actually two
slave ports with some network glue in the middle, this doesn't violate
the rule above