[CentOS] Re: Software raid tutorial and hardware raid questions.

Mon Jun 9 16:48:52 UTC 2008
Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com>

on 6-7-2008 9:35 AM drew einhorn spake the following:
> I remember seeing one with an example migrating
> from an old fashioned filesystem on a partition
> to a new filesystem on a mirrored lvm logical volume
> but one only one side of the mirror is set up at this
> time.
>
> First I need to copy stuff from what will become
> the second side of the mirror
> to filesystem on the first side or the mirror
>
> Then I will be ready to follow the rest of the tutorial
> and build and attach the second side of the mirror.
>
> Wish I could remember where I saw that tutorial.
>
> Want to embellish the example and stripe each side
> of the mirror.
>
> Understanding  a mirrored pair of stripes,
> seems easier than
> understanding a striped pair of mirrors.
>
> But this seems like a place where
> counterintuitive results are not a big surprise.
>
> I can do mirroring and striping in lvm, mdadm,
> or a hardware raid controller.  There are lots of
> configurations to ponder.
>
> What about recovery after a hardware raid controller?
>
> What are the chances of being able to replace the controller
> and start up successfully from drives?  I know that assuming
> the failed controller did write bad stuff to the drives while
> it was crashing and burning.
>
> I would not be surprised if the controller firmware revisions
> had to match.  I would be surprised but not astonished if
> the board hardware revision level had to match, too.
> I hope we are past those days.
>
> Anybody know about the
> LSI Logic MegaRAID 8480 Storage controller
> in particular.

I know that with 3ware controllers, they are always backward compatible, and
will sell you a controller that will work. As to the "bad" activity, nothing
will mitigate backups.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and