[CentOS] School Server Setup

Tue Jun 10 06:35:43 UTC 2008
Sorin@Gmail <sorin.srbu at gmail.com>

Go with CentOS on all machines, not only the servers. The turnaround time for
Fedora is a tad bit high IMO. I assume your time is not without limits, and
with CentOS you'll be supported till like 2014 with patches and stuff IIRC.
Fedora is 1,5yrs/release I think.

If you can afford it, use RHEL on the server (I think you'll be fine with the
most basic entitlement). Remember, if nobody buys RHEL there won't be any
CentOS.

Install one client and set it up like you want it and create a kickstart-file.
Use that file when installing the other clients.

For proxy, why not use a separate old machine together with Smoothwall Express
3.0? It's a firewall appliance that includes a transparant proxy which
requires no setup on the client-side. Plenty of mods too, like
content-filtering to filter out pron and other filth. See here for info on
Smoothwall http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=smoothwall.
Smoothwall can fix your dhcp-thing too. Installation in general of SW is a
laugh, it's that simple. Just keep track of the red (ext) and green (int)
networks. 8-)

I suggest you start with installing the server and then the proxy/Smoothwall.

HTH.

  _____