[CentOS] sendmail not sending after reboot

Tue Jun 10 14:31:17 UTC 2008
Kai Schaetzl <maillists at conactive.com>

Les Mikesell wrote on Tue, 10 Jun 2008 07:49:09 -0500:

> A 'make' is run when the sendmail init script starts that will rebuild
> sendmail.cf from sendmail.mc if it is newer, and all the databases if
> their corresponding text file is newer.

I was aware about the latter, not the former. You are right, it even replaces
the sendmail.mc if I rename it. Good to know if it ever gets replaced by an
update (I use my own mc file).

> A reboot would trigger the rebuild from sendmail.mc. Perhaps it was
> > changed after sendmail was working before.

The point is that his sendmail.cf from his backup (=before the reboot) and
after the reboot are the same. So, this scenario doesn't apply.

The rebuild creates a backup at sendmail.cf.bak, btw.

> You should be able to tell by the timestamps, but you can easily tell if
> sendmail is listening by trying to telnet to port 25 from another
> machine.

He already knows that sendmail accepts connections. Maillog is of no help
(maybe with a higher log level, I know that you can get even more info with
14). He has to identify the cause of the timeout and the first step is to
identify the phase where it happens.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany