[CentOS] yum upgrade 4.3 -> current ?

Tue Jun 10 22:30:12 UTC 2008
William L. Maltby <CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com>

On Tue, 2008-06-10 at 14:29 -0500, Chris Boyd wrote:
> On Jun 4, 2008, at 8:25 PM, Matt Hyclak wrote:
>
> > If it were me, I would download the latest yum+dependencies and
> > install them
> > via rpm before trying to debug an old yum.
>

> Good suggestion.  Upgraded yum, sqlite, and python.  Also added
> enough swap space via a swapfile to let yum do what it wants.  Now it
> just eats memory until it hits a 4GB wall and then dies.
>
> Version info follows.
>
> [root at hostess ~]# rpm -q yum
> yum-2.4.3-4.el4.centos
> [root at hostess ~]# rpm -q sqlite
> sqlite-3.3.6-2
> [root at hostess ~]# rpm -q python
> python-2.3.4-14.4

Is this a continuation of the massive update seen earlier in
this/another thread?

If so, I still think you need to select a *few* of the packages manually
and upgrade them to reduce the massive dependancy processing. At some
point, enough "foundation" pieces will be in place to run the rest en
masse.

It might be instructive to see if swap is actually being used. In
another VT, top, free and other utils will report swap usage. Also,
swapon with no parameters will report swap usage.

Also, /proc/vmstat might have some useful information (if you dig enough
to actually know the meaning of the parameters).

Also, on my cat sys/vm/swappiness has 60 as a value. I know some folks
alter this stuff to beneficial/detrimental effect.

> --Chris
> <snip sig stuff>

HTH
--