[CentOS] School Server Setup

Wed Jun 11 04:44:37 UTC 2008
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

Alexander Georgiev wrote:
> 2008/6/11, Harry Sukumar <hsukumar at bond.edu.au>:
>> Hi Gopinath,
>>
>>  Thank you for the reply,
>>
>>  All the client machines have 1GB Ram and 80GB of hard disk so I don't
>>  think its efficient to run think client setup on the machines But thank
>>  any way
>>
>>  Cheers
>>
>> Harry
>
> It is efficient in terms of spared free time. Go with
> http://k12ltsp.org/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page or reinvent the
> wheel.

Yes the big win with thin clients is that one install is all you need
for the 25 seats and there's not much you can do from the terminals to
break it.  However, you would need something like a dual xeon server
with 4 gigs of RAM to act as the server.  If you have to go with
standalone workstations, you'll probably want some fast image-based
cloning method to install and maintain them. Clonezilla is pretty good
for that: http://www.clonezilla.org/clonezilla-live/.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com